I’ll tell you right up front – I’m not a very scheduled person. In fact, I usually hate schedules. 😫🤦♀️ lol. Most of my day is pretty spontaneous.
However: there are a few rhythms that have become anchors for our day, and they go a long way to practically paving the way for peace and beauty and joy in our home. One of those rhythms is a slow morning.
So, if your mornings are anything but peaceful, and you’re looking for ideas? These would be my 5 best tips:) I hope they help! 🙂
- Mom Awake Early for QT. Now, this has been really difficult to manage sometimes, when you’ve got babies that rarely sleep as planned… so I understand if you rolled your eyes at this one.
Some days my quiet time is only 10 minutes; sometimes it happens with a child on my lap or my shoulder; sometimes I’m exhausted and I sleep in.
But when I’m always trying, it actually does happen fairly often; and oh my goodness, is the effort worth it! At least for an introvert like me. If I can start my day with actual QUIET? My poor little sensory-overloaded brain actually has a chance at surviving the rest of the day. 😂 Having my mind & heart guarded afresh with truth & hope right from the get-go, also prepares me well for the onslaught of rush, stress, fear, doubt and discouragement that a day in the life of this world will bring.
2. Breakfast That Kids Are Excited For. We eat plenty healthy around here, but I like to make breakfasts a little special. There is just something really beautiful about happy kids bounding down the stairs, giddy over the smell of breakfast. It only takes a few minutes to whip together a batch of muffins, pancakes, or cream of rice cereal (my crew’s three favorites), but when I can manage the effort, it’s always worth it to start the day with the joy of a little mini feast. It also helps to have some muffins made ahead of time in a large Ziploc bag in the fridge, for those more hectic mornings.
3. Ambiance: Music, Candles, & Open Windows. Call me a romantic… call me superficial… call me silly. I’m ok with that. 😂 I just love setting an atmosphere, and it seems to soothe everyone else, too. I almost always have candles lit by the time the kids wake up in the mornings, along with gentle music playing, and a window cracked open, even if it’s chilly outside… it’s worth it, to hear the birds and the wind blowing the windchimes outside.
If you’re nervous about safety and little ones, just have your candles up out of reach on the counters, or only on the table when you’re sitting there with them. With some consistency and reminders, even toddlers will learn healthy respect and safe distance.
As for music, check out some of our favorite morning choices here. 🍃💕😊
4. Kids’ Devotions. I’m all over the place with this. Sometimes I toss their children’s bibles at them on the couch, because I need something for them to do while I finish breakfast. Other times, they bring their bibles to the table and Dad or I narrate their next story for them, while we all eat.
And then there are the days I forget the bibles altogether. But even then, I try to replace it with something fun: “who can tell me all the fruits of the spirit?!” or “Let’s memorize a bible verse!” or ask them random fun bible trivia.
Just starting our day thinking about the book that reminds us to love each other well in all we do? Makes a big difference in remembering where our peace can be found during the rest of the day. 💕
5. Jumping Right Into An Adventure. When you have several kids, particularly younger ones, they seem to stay out of trouble best with some structure. I don’t know about you, but I’m finding that our morning continue on a better note when we launch right from breakfast into school. We love homeschooling, so it’s a preferred activity… but if I just release them to just “go play,” they usually get into a squabble pretty quickly, and the noise level just escalates from there. And so, whether it’s a walk, a school project, or an educational show… we try to jump right into an adventure for the day;) And off we go!! 🙂
What helps YOU start off the day peacefully? Drop a comment and share with the rest of us mamas!! 💕🍃😊